Are you interested in using the energy of the moon to reach your goals? This is the ultimate guide to get you started.
I’ve always wondered why most days I feel high energy and want to exercise, other days I feel creative, some days I just want to be wrapped up in my blankets all day. Do you ever feel optimistic one day and then have doubts and fears the next few days? I know I do. So how can we utilize the power of the moon and accomplish our goals? First, we need to understand the eight moon phases and how it effects our energy and emotions.
My favorite way to use the phases of the moon is when I want to finish a project. Instead of forcing myself to do mundane tasks or sitting at my computer frustrated over a creative block, there are certain phases of the moon that would be most beneficial. These tasks will become easier because of the way the moon affects you. Pretty great, right? Remember, you don’t need to do this for every lunar cycle but whenever you feel that your mind and body needs it. It doesn’t hurt to try it out!
The entire lunar cycle takes 30 days and each moon phase lasts about 3-4 days.
Table of Contents
- New Moon
- Waxing Crescent Phase
- First Quarter Moon
- Waxing Gibbous Phase
- Full Moon
- Waning Gibbous Phase
- Last Quarter Moon
- Balsamic Phase
New Moon 🌑
Affirmation I allow ideas to flow through me.
The new moon sits between the Earth and the Sun so it’s not visible to us on earth. The sky is dark and the energy is low which focuses inward. This phase is about resting, being present, and new beginnings – the best time to rest your body, mind, and spirit.
The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle. This is a great time to take notice of your emotions during this phase. Do you feel cool, calm, and hopeful? I keep a journal to keep track of my mood that I’m in during each moon phase. I encourage you to journal and answer the following questions:
- What wasn’t working before?
- What new habits do I want to adopt in the new cycle?
- What are my passions and what is my true purpose in life?
- What can I do this lunar cycle that will create the biggest results in my life?
Create new intentions and write them in a place where you can return to each day, bookmarked in your journal, pinned to your vision board, or even written in lipstick on your vanity mirror! Release any old habits by following any of the activities I mention below. The new moon invites us to contemplate anything you want to put in motion in the coming weeks – new activities, connections, hobbies, projects, or a business.
Intention Setting Ritual
- Go to your nearest crystal store and choose a new crystal
- Energetically cleanse your home and sacred space by smudging
- Meditate with the new crystal to launch new ideas and endeavors
- Create a vision board
- Journal plans for your future
- New Moon Self Care Activities:
- Restorative yoga flow for relaxation (Click for a free 20 minute yoga video)
- Upgrade your skincare routine
Waxing Crescent Phase 🌒
Affirmation I make decisions with confidence.
As the moon begins to wax towards full, the sun illuminates a crescent on the right side, while the rest remains dark. You may feel your energy increasing and getting a little more active. Feeling recharged, optimistic, and creative. It’s time to plant the seeds on your new intentions – learn new skills or research to make your plans clearer for your intentions. To begin, write down practical goals that will lead you to them. To be held accountable for your actions, maybe let a loved one know or someone you trust. Trust yourself in the act of declaring your actions and goals. You can do it! Prioritize your curiosity and playfulness and just start doing.
Ritual for the Waxing Crescent Phase
- Meditate on manifesting what you want in life
- Write down 5 simple things you are grateful for
- Free write in your journal about how to take action on your goals
- Waxing Crescent Phase Self Care Activities:
- Nourish your body with a clean meal
- Gentle yoga flow (Click for a free 20 minute yoga video)
- Upgrade your Morning Ritual
- Hair and nails self-care
First Quarter Moon 🌓
Affirmation I am focused.
During the first quarter moon, the moon is half full into illumination. Is your energy getting strongly active? This is a good time to take note of your emotions in your journal. Is the
Ritual for First Quarter Moon
- Meditation to focus on the power chakra located at your navel: solar plexus
- A Hatha yoga flow sequence incorporating Half Moon pose
- Ritual bath or shower focusing on attracting the life you want to live
- Reconnect with loved ones and network with others to improve your skill sets
Waxing Gibbous Phase🌔
Affirmation: I have everything I need to accomplish my goals
The moon is very close to full but not completely illuminated here. This is the last phase before the moon reaches maximum illumination. How are you feeling? Feeling very active? Are you having very few low energy bursts? This might be an overwhelming time for you and you may be at a point in your project where you begin to feel some frustration. You also may start to see results from the intentions you set during the new moon. Now’s the best time to look back and acknowledge what you’ve done so far. Remember, the hardest part about starting an activity is actually starting it.
Talk to a loved one. This moon phase invites us to communicate with loved ones and friends. Maybe you’ll gain a new perspective on your approach. Perform a quick check-in and see if your goals are still aligned. You can always adjust them if necessary. If you are struggling, pick a small task to work on and wait to find clarity. Notice if your emotions are high here. Allow yourself to honor your feelings and use them to go through with any actions and directions you need to move forward. This is the final push!
Ritual for Waxing Gibbous
- Meditation on third eye chakra, located between the eyebrows and listen to what your intuition is telling you
- Vinyasa yoga flow focusing on the third eye chakra incorporating inversion poses or this practice.
- Protection Ritual to ward off negative energy
Full Moon 🌕
Affirmation: I am grateful for all that has come and is still coming to me.
The moon is in full illumination! The sun illuminates the entire surface of the moon that is facing the Earth. It’s a time for pre-celebration and acknowledging any wins (big or small) you have. Do you feel that intense energy? The full moon amplifies your emotional sensitivity and can be overwhelming. On the full moon, there is still an energy of strong action here. You are finishing the tasks, you are still productive. Reflect on how far you’ve come and soak it all in. If your new moon intentions from 2 weeks ago haven’t come into fruition yet, trust in the timing of the Universe and use the law of attraction to manifest it.
Ritual for Full Moon
- Meditation to calm the mind
- Power yoga with moon salutations
- Charge your crystals
- Full Moon Ceremony
- Free write in your journal all of the thoughts in your head. It doesn’t have to be grammatically correct, just keep writing what pours out.
Waning Gibbous Phase 🌖
Affirmation: I share and create from the seeds of my heart.
After the energy of the full moon has reached its peak, the energy starts to decrease as illumination begins to wane and shadows appear again. This period is the time to release what no longer serves you. Any doubts or fears holding you back. We’re beginning to focus our attention on harmony and partnerships. How can I collaborate with others to achieve my goal? You’ve been through the wringer. The most challenging parts of your projects are passing. What have you learned and how can you share it with others? Let’s share and disperse this energy and be open to learning new skills. No matter how much experience someone has, value each person’s journey and acknowledge their unique contributions.
Ritual for Gibbous Phase
- Free write in your journal what you want to let go
- Carry selenite crystal or a crystal of your choice to clear any stuck energy
- Shadow work aka self-examining
Last Quarter Moon 🌗
Affirmation: I let go of things that no longer serve me
The releasing energy of the moon reaches it’s peak at the last quarter moon. If you were just thinking about releasing toxic relationships or habits that don’t serve you like scrolling through Instagram and comparing yourself to others, now is the time to cut them completely. We’re getting closure on these feelings. Acknowledge them and let go. Follow people who inspire you and lift others up. The more you lift up others, the more you’ll feel uplifted about yourself. You know why? Because that’s how we grow, power together, not power over one another. Listen to your inner voice. What is it telling you to do right now? We’re almost near completion of the full lunar cycle so if you have any other unfinished tasks, this is where you begin to wrap the ribbon in a pretty pink bow around your goals.
Ritual for Last Quarter Moon
- Meditation and yoga focusing on the root chakra
- Clean out clutter
- Banishing Ritual to actively drive away negative energy and unhealthy attachments. Write it down on a piece of paper and set it on fire (in a fireproof container!) and visualize it floating away from your life.
Balsamic Phase 🌘
Affirmation: I accept myself and my life as it is.
The end of the lunar cycle invites us to surrender and rest. No more action is required. No more planning is required. No more thinking is required. Use this last energy to be in the now and prepare for the next lunar cycle. Pull out your journal and honor the work you’ve done. Whether it was a relationship, a project, your new hobby or activity. Maybe your intention was to just be present. This is difficult for most people! What new mindset do you want to adopt in the next cycle? What were your successes and what were your failures? Treat both of these equally in your growth and development. And finally, be proud of yourself! Cause we are proud of you for making it this far!
Ritual Balsamic Phase
- Meditation focusing on the heart chakra
- Gentle yoga flow
- Smoke purification with a smoke wand to clear stagnant and negative energy
- Yoga Breathing exercises (Pranayama)
- Balsamic Phase Self Care Activities:
- Dry brush your skin to increase circulation and exfoliate your skin
- Indulge in a face mask for relaxation
- Upgrade your nighttime routine
Do you work with the moon’s energy? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re interested in a yoga flow sequenced for each moon phase, check out this Moon Phase Yoga Series.
If you’d like to know more about the rituals or activities mentioned, please subscribe to our mailing list.